The smallest in its family, the Zhumell Portable 50mm AZ Refractor is the ideal grab-and-go telescope for taking with you everywhere you go, especially for camping vacations, treks, and backyard gatherings. Its small body easily fits within the provided nylon duffle bag, and you can be prepared to observe in just a few seconds.
You can use the manual altitude azimuth (AZ) mount to aim and position your telescope naturally at the object you want to see. This telescope has erect image optics, which create right-side-up images instead of upside-down or inverted ones like some telescopes do. This makes it ideal for observing terrestrial objects during the daytime, like nature and wildlife.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Zhumell 50mm AZ
- Superior optics.
- Powerful eyepieces for up-close viewing.
- 50mm objective lens.
- clarity and detail.
- Manual Alt-Azimuth Mount.
- Easy To digiscope.
- Day-to-Night Performance.
- High-Quality Refractor.
- Inferior highest useful magnification compared to other Zhumell telescopes.
- Low Aperture.
- Limited details for planetary viewing.
Technical Specifications of Zhumell 50mm AZ
- The optics follow the Refractor optical design.
- The aperture is 50mm with a focal length of 360mm and a focal ratio of f/7.2.
- It also has Light Gathering Power which is 51x more powerful than the unaided eye.
- It also operates using Coated glass optics.
Mount and Tripod
- Small and compact.
- It weighs 2.3 pounds.
- Its size is ideal for moving around.
What comes in the box with the Zhumell 50mm AZ
- Optical tube.
- Mount/tripod (preassembled).
- 20mm eyepiece.
- 8mm eyepiece.
- Erect image diagonal.
- 2×20 finderscope.
- Basic smartphone adapter.
- 3x Barlow.
- Bag to store scope and accessories.
What can you see with the Zhumell 50mm AZ
- Vivid wildlife images.
- The Moon.
- Glimpses of Saturn, Jupiter and Mars when the orbit allows.
- Geological features and major craters of the moon.
- Venus will be seen if it’s in the sky, mostly during sunrise and sunset.
- Under some circumstances, Neptune and Uranus can be seen, although it can be challenging to distinguish them because they primarily resemble stars with a slightly different color.
- Some meteor showers and asteroids.
Recommended Accessories for Zhumell 50mm AZ
- Extra Eyepieces – To improve results.
- Barlow Lens- to increase eyepiece magnification.
- Red Flashlights – Keeps eyes adjusted to the dark.
- Observing chair.
- Moon filter – To decrease input light and glare while boosting contrast to protect the eye.
- Smartphone adapter – To attach a smartphone to the eyepiece of the telescope for photography.
My personal experience with Zhumell 50mm AZ
This telescope is fantastic. It was simple to install, lightweight, small, and provided clear views through all of the lenses; thus, it met all of my criteria (portability, the night performance, the ease to digiscope, and the detail for up close zooming). Since I live in a city, I thought using this in my backyard could be challenging, but that was not the case! This telescope is quite reasonably priced for its superb quality.
Other Refractor Telescopes By Zhumell
- Zhumell 60mm AZ – This telescope has an aperture of 60mm, a focal length of 700mm, and a focal ratio of 11.2. The Zhumell 60mm AZ has a light grasp of 32% and a highest theoretical magnification of 118x.
- Zhumell 70mm AZ – This telescope follows the Refractor optical design and has a 13″ optical tube length. The Zhumell 70mm AZ has 100x more Light Gathering Power than the unaided eye.