SkyWatcher FlexTube 250P (10″ Collapsible) Telescope is a reflector Dobsonian scope. It offers a 10’’ large aperture with 1200 mm focal length, patented Tenson Control Handle, and portability at a modest price. The flexible features have made it a reliable and great grab-and-go telescope for beginners.
Advantages and Disadvantages of SkyWatcher FlexTube 250P (10″ Collapsible) Telescope
- Large aperture at a lower price than other Dobsonian designs.
- 8 x 50 mm viewfinder helps to avoid constant telescope adjustment to keep targets in the field of view.
- The focuser is backlash-free ensuring smooth adjustment
- Multi-coated high-quality Plossl eyepieces provide sharp images.
- Teflon bearing system ensures smooth horizontal and vertical movement.
- The truss-support concept allows the optical tube’s front and back parts to collapse together. It can be locked down while transporting the scope.
- The mirror polishing is smooth and ensures high contrast.
- The components and the structure are rigid and stable.
- Mount is rigid and easy to use.
- Additional holes on the diagonal mirror allow it to get lower to the locking position to achieve focus while using bino-viewing.
- Bearings can be annoying.
- The price is debatable.
Technical Specifications of SkyWatcher FlexTube 250P Telescope
- Plossl Eyepiece lens
- The objective lens is 254 mm in diameter offering a bold and bright viewing experience.
- A large 10’’ aperture resolves dim sky objects like wispy galaxies and nebulae.
- 1200 mm long focal length produces a fast focal ratio of f/4.7 ensuring a broad field view, a moderate magnification potential, and maximum light.
- The primary mirror is parabolic and made of borosilicate.
- Titanium, quartz, and silicon dioxide coating result in 94% of reflectivity.
- Resolution is 0.55 arc sec (Rayleigh limit, 0.46 arcsec (Dawes Limit)).
- The secondary mirror is 64 mm in diameter.
- The eyepiece height is 48’’ while aiming towards the zenith.
- The outer tube is 11.375’’ in diameter.
- The focus type is auto, not manual.
- A crayfold-style focuser is more precise than a rack-and-inion focuser.
- Zero backlash
- The holder is 2’’ in diameter ensuring eye relief for a long time.
- Particle board Dobsonian mount
- Takes a few minutes to set up.
- Patented tension knob technology allows using as secure handles to carry the whole scope as a single piece.
- Teflon bearings allow smooth azimuth movement.
- The weight is 40 lb when fully assembled.
- The power source is an adapter.
- The size is around 44’’ when set up but can be contracted to 31.5’’ when collapsed.
Accessories of SkyWatcher FlexTube 250P Telescope
- Nosepiece of 1.25’’
- Two eyepieces (25 mm- 48x and 10 mm-120x)
- 2-1.25’’ eyepiece reducer adapter
- 8×50 low power finderscope
- 2-year Warranty
What can you see with the SkyWatcher FlexTube Telescope?
- The phases of Venus and Mercury
- Icecap and even the dark markings of Mars when it is close.
- Deimos (Outer moon of Mars)
- The cloud belt and the Great Red Spot of Jupiter.
- The Galilean moons Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto (the 4 largest moons of Jupiter)
- Saturn’s rings, the Cassini Division, and some moons.
- Uranus and Neptune with the moons Oberon and Titania
- The spiral· arms of brighter galaxies like M 51 and M 33, M 82 and M 31, and the H-II regions in M 33, M 101
- Nebulae like Orion and Lagoon
Recommended Accessories For SkyWatcher FlexTube
- Apertura 2x 1.25″ Barlow – A-2XB1
- Astrozap Light Shroud for 10″ SkyWatcher Flex Tube Dobsonians – AZ1306
- Apertura 15mm Super Wide Angle 1.25″ Eyepiece – SWA15
- Apertura 1.25″ Laser Collimator with 45º Angled Face – A-LC
Astrophotography Example with SkyWatcher FlexTube 250P (10″ Collapsible) Telescope
Fig 3: Astrophotography with SkyWatcher FlexTube 250P (10″ Collapsible) Telescope (Ref: cloudynights)
Fig 4: Astrophotography with SkyWatcher FlexTube 250P (10″ Collapsible) Telescope (Ref: cloudynights)
Alternative Options To SkyWatcher FlexTube 250P
- Apertura DT10: More Convenient bearings and improved mount design.
- Orion XT8i: Includes IntelliScope system that makes target locating easier than Dobsonian.
- Apertura AD10 / Zhumell Z10 /Orion SkyLine 10: Better altitude bearing system, and a dual-speed Crayford focuser.