Celestron SkyProdigy 6 Telescope is a perfect scope for a beginner as it takes unbelievably less time to set up (only 3 minutes), and gives more time for observation. It makes the first experience of a beginner hassle-free and allows observing myriads of sky objects with just a smooth hand controller. The combo of Schmidt-Cassegrain optical design and StarBright XLT optical coating system collects enough light to resolve dim night sky objects and make the views clear. It comes with a fully motorized mount with a hand controller and sturdy tripod.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Celestron SkyProdigy 6
- 5-inch Newtonian reflectors provide comfortable views.
- Auto alignment system.
- StarSense Technology helps to get started.
- Smooth hand control and GoTo mount.
- No tool is needed for easy & quick setup.
- Enough aperture
- High-quality optics.
- Backlash compensation allows more precise tracking.
- The stability of the tripod is questionable.
Technical Specifications of Celestron SkyProdigy 6 Telescope
- 152 mm aperture with 1500 mm focal length making an f/10 focal ratio.
- Schmidt-Cassegrain optical design is great for observing small objects.
- StarBright XLT multi-layer quartz and titanium dioxide mirror coatings provide high-quality images.
- Anti-reflective lens coating with multi-layer hafnium dioxide & magnesium fluoride enhances visual clarity and reduces blue exposure.
- Corrector lens is made of high transmission water white glass with 97.4% light transmission.
- Resolution is 0.76 arcsec (Dawes) & 0.92 arcsec (Rayleigh)
- The focusing scheme is internal.
- Includes an integrated digital camera and a hand controller.
- The camera is able to store a lot of pictures for further analysis in the database.
- Once it is matched, it helps the scope to orient automatically and align the mount.
- The time for alignment is 3 minutes.
- Database with more than 4000 night-sky objects
- SkyTour Mode helps to find the best viewing objects available in the sky automatically.
- Customizable identify, catalog, and tour filters.
- GoTo mode can take the user to stellar coordinates.
- Alternate alignment with the solar system and manual is available.
- Nine slew speeds are 3.5°/sec, 2°/sec, 1°/sec, 0.3°/sec, 32x, 16x, 8x, 4x, 2x.
- Sidereal, Solar, and Lunar help to track objects accurately.
- LCD display
- Easy and user-friendly interface.
- Red backlit provides night-adjusted views.
- The exposure of the display is controllable.
Mount and Tripod
- Alt-azimuth mount with a single arm
- Dual-axis DC servo motors reduce vibration and ensure smooth movement.
- Optical encoders can auto-align if the mount is moved anyhow ensuring accurate tracking.
- StarSense Camera provides seamless integration.
- Dovetail saddle makes it easy to set up and break down.
- Stainless steel spiked legs with a 1.25’’ diameter increase stability.
- Adjustable tray to keep accessories.
- The weight is 20lb
- The power source needs 8 D-cell batteries.
Accessories of SkyProdigy 6 Telescope
- Two Eyepieces (25 mm 20x & 9mm 167x) with a barrel of 1.25’’ diameter.
- 90° star diagonal Diagonal with 1.25’’ snout and eyepiece holder.
What can you see with Celestron SkyProdigy 6?
- The moon and the planets of the solar system.
- The cloud belts, a Great red spot, and 4 bright moons of Jupiter.
- Cloud belts of Saturn, Cassini Division, rings, and moons.
- Darker regions and ice caps of Mars.
- The phases of Venus and mercury.
- Uranus and Neptune as small blue dots.
- Star clusters And nebulae like Lagoon, Orion, and Swan as fuzzy small dots.
- Celestron AC to DC Power Adapter
- Celestron 8-24mm Zoom Eyepiece (1.25″)
- Celestron Eyepiece and Filter Kit (1.25″)
- Celestron Moon Filter (1.25″) – Reduces Excessive Light Reflected From the Moon for Better Viewing
- Oben Tripod Hammock
- Celestron NexGo DX 2-Axis Smartphone Digiscoping Kit
- Celestron T-Mount Adapter for Schmidt-Cassegrain Telescopes
- Celestron StarPointer Pro Finderscope
Astrophotography Example with Celestron SkyProdigy 6
Fig 2: Astrophotography with Celestron SkyProdigy 6 Telescope (Ref: ytimg)
Alternative Options To Celestron SkyProdigy 6 Telescope
Here are two alternatives at a similar price that provide similar views you can check on.
- Celestron NexStar 6 SE- Better mount and more user-friendly.
- Celestron NexStar Evolution 6- Better mount and accessories.