SkyWatcher StarTravel 102 AZ3 Telescope is a pretty good scope for experienced sky gazers. It is not preferable for children or beginners as it includes a lot of controls. Without prior knowledge, it may seem hard for novice users. The small size & light weight has made it an easy ‘grab & go’ scope. Full 4’’ aperture, 2’’ focuser, and fast f/5 focal ratio create a little chromatic aberration but it performs spectacularly on deep-sky objects.
Advantages and Disadvantages of SkyWatcher StarTravel 102 AZ3
- Four inches aperture provides high contrast views
- A simple alt-azimuth mount is perfect for beginners.
- The construction is sturdy.
- The refractor has no central obstruction that improves the contrast of the image.
- High power optics creates chromatic aberration.
- Included 45-degree prism is not that useful.
Technical Specifications of SkyWatcher StarTravel 102 Telescope
- The achromatic multi coated lens with a 102 mm aperture and a 500 mm focal length makes a focal ratio of f/5.
- The actual magnification is 100x for chromatic aberration though it was supposed to be 200x.
- The metal tube is sturdy and short.
- The dew and light shield is adjustable.
- The black color inside the shield prevents light scattering.
- The middle part of the dust cap can be removed to reduce the aperture making chromatic aberration low.
- 2’’ diameter rack & pinion focuser is smooth and easy to use with mediocre plastic knobs.
- It allows ultra-wide-field 2 ” eyepieces with 2’’ diagonal.
- The visual is rotatable and can be locked by a locking ring.
- The built-in Synta-style finder shoe holds the 6×30 finderscope.
Mount & Tripod
- The altitude-azimuth mount is sturdy and well-balanced.
- The slow-motion knobs interfaced with a lever-arm system make tracking easy.
- Tube rings are adjusted to the mount permanently and there is no vixen dovetail.
- The aluminum tripod is sturdy.
- A large triangular tray can be used to put eyepieces and dust caps.
- The optical tube assembly weight is 3kg.
Accessories of SkyWatcher StarTravel 102
- Two good quality eyepieces (25mm-20x, 10 mm-50x)
- Tripod accessory· tray
- 1.25 ” erect 45 ° image· diagonal
- 2 ” to 1.25 ” adapter
- A red· dot finder
What can you see with SkyWatcher StarTravel 102 AZ3?
- The Moon and the craters
- The planets of our solar system.
- All of 110 Messier objects like Double Cluster in Perseus
- Explore Scientific 6.5mm 52° Argon-Purged Waterproof Eyepiece – 1.25″ – EPWP5265-01
- Apertura 2x 1.25″ Barlow – A-2XB1
- Celestron 1.25″ Moon Filter 18 % Light Transmission – 94119-A
- Celestron Sky Maps and Planisphere – 93722
Astrophotography Example with SkyWatcher StarTravel 102 Telescope
Fig 3: Astrophotography with SkyWatcher StarTravel 102 AZ3 (Ref: stargazerslounge)
Fig 4: Astrophotography with SkyWatcher StarTravel 102 AZ3 (Ref: stargazerslounge)
Fig 5: Astrophotography with SkyWatcher StarTravel 102 AZ3 (Ref: opticalvision)
Fig 6: Astrophotography with SkyWatcher StarTravel 102 AZ3 (Ref: opticalvision)
Alternative Options To SkyWatcher StarTravel 102
- 6 ” Dobsonian reflector: Better views than StarTravel 102 AZ3
- StarBlast 4.5: Better planetary views at a lower price
- AWB OneSky 130 / SkyWatcher Heritage 130 P: Lower price & better views.